fbpx
Menu

5 Personality Traits That Lead to Suffering

HomeForumsEmotional Mastery5 Personality Traits That Lead to Suffering

New Reply
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Aaron
    Participant

5. Storytelling

This is where you make up typically negative stories about the world (and other people) and believe them to be true.

Works best when assigning imaginary motives to the words and/or actions of others.

Results in your own words and/or actions which you will later regret.

Better option: Wait. Ask for clarification.

4. Novelty Seeking

This is where you believe surface changes will make things better. Known throughout 12-Step Programs as “Geographic.”

Works best when you’re looking for a quick fix.

Results in the (generally costly) pursuit of all things new (cars, relationships, cities, etc.).

Better option: Appreciate what you have.

3. Checking Out

This is where you’re in a room with people, but not really.

Works best when you’re desperately trying to prove to the world just how unhappy you believe yourself to be.

Results in hurt feelings, and later, heartbreak.

Better option: Try to see what’s happening right in front of you.

2. Isolation

This is where you alienate people in order to give yourself the necessary space required to set up a permanent base camp in your own head.

Works best when other people haven’t yet given up on trying to help you.

Results in people giving up on trying to help you.

Better option: Stay. Listen. Repeat.

1. Self-hatred

This is where you no longer believe you even deserve happiness. This is a dangerous crisis stage where you either get help or the universe will force you to get help. (This generally results in some sort of life disruption.)

Works best after you’ve succeeded in all of the above steps.

Results in extreme depression.

Better option: Seek the above-mentioned help while you are still able. Start researching the concept of “self-compassion.” Soon.

George
    Participant

Funny and true.
    Some of them i can confirm my self –> 5,2,1

Stephen
    Participant

54321…and this is why I read tinybuddah :/ BLAST!

Jodi
    Participant

These are spot on! Thanks!

~Jodi

Will
    Participant

I see no problem with your message, but the way you have phrased these strikes me as unneccesarily hurtful. This stood out in particular: “Works best when you’re desperately trying to prove to the world just how unhappy you believe yourself to be.”

I can’t help but sense an underlying judgement in this: that unhappy people are making themselves so, are faking, are seeking attention. Although a Buddhist perspective could be that all suffering is ultimately self-inflicted, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be kind.

It doesn’t help that you classify these issues as “personality traits” when what you’re describing is behaviour, ie. things that people do, not things that they are.

I understand it’s meant to be humourous, and in our culture humour is often means anger. But I would invite you to ask yourself if this is always so, if this needs to be so, and if people who are indeed suffering would benefit from your list the way you presented it.

You’ll note the other responses state: yes, I do all these things. Not: ah, now I know what to do. The envelope you used to deliver truth is also full of guilt, self-blame and learned helplessness, despite the “better options” you offer. I think this is bad medicine.

I hope my comments are useful. My best wishes for you.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Will.
    Aaron
    Participant

Thanks Will. I appreciate your comments and I agree with you. I’m working on self-compassion — but I’m not there yet.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Please log in OR register.