fbpx
Menu

10% – Try something new

HomeForumsShare Your Truth10% – Try something new

New Reply
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sun
    Participant

“Happiness is not a goal, it is a by-product.” – Eleanor Roosevelt

I write this as my packed bag sits beside my leg and my wife finishes grabbing her last minute sunscreen, flip flops, glasses—wait, is the stove running? You get the picture. But why am I going to the beach on a day when I should be working, studying, doing something that’s going to satisfy my inner workaholic? Because I haven’t gone in years. I’ve come to learn it’s the little things, the new things, the old things that have been buried so far deep that uncovering them makes them new again that bring happiness, not waiting for the time to pass.

Just 10% can put you back on the right track—try something new.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Sun.
    Anonymous

Dear Sun:

I hope you had a good day at the beach (and enjoyed some happiness as a byproduct!)

anita

Anonymous

* didn’t submit correctly…

PearceHawk
    Participant

Sun,

Your words are true. We do not take enough time for ourselves. I am learning that the little things in life that really matter most are really the big things. Often times I make a “diversion” in my day-like go on a big hike when I should mow the lawn. When I return I still see the lawn needing to be mowed and I think to myself, “so what.” It’s not like the grass is 11 feet tall lined with weeds. It just needs a trim, like my hair. And like my hair, instead of getting a haircut today, I’m going surfing. Last week I remember one day I didn’t put away a few tools I used. So what. I went swimming in the ocean. About 150 yards off the coast where I was swimming, some dolphins, maybe 10 or so, came by me, perhaps 20 feet or less. They were kind of curious so a few of them decided to check me out for a good 5 minutes. What an indescribable experience! What gentle creatures. I’m glad I made a “diversion” to go to the beach. Today, there are just a few things to put away in the garage. But, what else is there for me to see? Oh ya, surfing 🙂

enjoy a perfect day.

Pearce

Sun
    Participant

Pearce,

I literally had a huge smile while reading your response—so much detail! And I agree, that’s what life’s about: hiking, surfing, swimming with dolphins (which I can’t even imagine what a surprise that must be), enjoying every second because eventually the lawn will be mowed, the hair will be cut, and the memory from those “diversions” will never leave.

Thank you so much!

– Sun

PearceHawk
    Participant

Hi Sun:)

I have read, and perhaps you have too, that the most important things in life aren’t things. This is true and I wish more people would take the time being absent from their everyday chores and explore outside. I wakeup earlier than most, 4:30-5 ish mostly out of habit, but also if I wake up later, say 8-9ish I’m afraid I might miss something really cool. I live close to 1/8th of a mile from the beach and I cannot tell you how difficult is it for meta make the decision to stay at home, vacuum, clean something, mow the lawn etc. You are absolutely correct, those “things” will get done. Beach first 🙂

Pearce

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Please log in OR register.